1. Home>
  2. Poker News>
  3. Could Facebook Jump Into the Real Money Poker World?
  • Could Facebook Jump Into the Real Money Poker World?

    Thursday, December 1st, 2011 by Ryan

Facebook is a favorite of a huge number of people out there, and it looks like it could attract a massive number of people in a bit of a different way. Facebook is currently the largest social network out there, and the rumors that were swirling, would put them in the middle of the online poker world. Facebook has been said to be in discussions with many different places about potentially have online poker on their huge site. They do currently have poker on the site, but it is a type of poker in which you purchase credits to play different games through the site. Facebook has never made the move towards real money poker, and this is where the story begins.

The rumors started by stating that there were multiple meetings between Facebook and many different online gaming experts and consultants. This move would happen in early 2012, and it could potentially set up the site to have up to eight licenses. One of the licensees is a well-known company called Gamesys, who handles online bingo software and software for games such as “Deal or No Deal” and “The Price is Right”. The other popular company is one that you can bet many fans of poker have heard of, in Caesars Entertainment.

It seems that this deal still has a few kinks to be worked out though, such as age verification. This is just the starting spot, but the real question is, how would Facebook be able to be sure that the players playing the games are actually of age, and allowed to gamble online. It was pointed out that many users of the massive social network actually choose NOT to put their real birth dates on the site for their own privacy. Another factor would be finding a payment processor for the transactions that would be needed in order to get the money on and off of the site.

As much as we would love to say that this could be an outlet for United States based poker players to get back into the game, it’s looking like that won’t be happening any time soon. The idea for the real money poker on Facebook would strictly be for the United Kingdom to start with, and could possibly make its way across the world over time. It is also important to note that just because Facebook is involved in the talks, that it does not mean that this will be happening any time soon, or even at all possibly. Facebook has been able to become involved with many different things, and they did so by getting into talks with quite a few different companies.

For all of those people out there who are curious about how well this idea could potentially do if it was to work, there were a few calculations made based on their current deal with the “credit purchasing poker”. Currently, Facebook gets 30% of the revenue from these credits, and the other 70% goes to the creators of the poker itself. The calculations that were used to compare, look at the revenues that PartyGaming brought in ($497.9 million in 2010). Using the percentages above, if the same amount of activity occurred for Facebook, they would stand to make right around $149.3 million.

both

both

both

About Us | Contact Us | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Site Map

If you are interested in learning more about online poker, try searching on Yahoo, the Open Directory Project, or Bing.